Monday 3 January 2011

Worried

First, thank you all for your kind comments regarding my boyfriend. Unfortunately, we are a bit worried. You see, 4 years ago, Bertrand (said boyfriend) twisted his knee while biking (he does dirt ride biking and stuff) and ripped his anterior crossed ligament on his left knee. Ouch, I know. It's a bad injury and he had to go into surgery. Everything returned to normal after some rehabilitation and workout, but one year after the surgery, he slipped on a wet floor and twisted his knee AGAIN. What happened? Yes, you know, his fixed ACL ripped again. At that time, he didn't wanted to go into surgery again, so he just got extra careful with his knee.

What happened on Saturday is not cool. He was in pain, and if it wasn't getting better on Wednesday, we wanted to got to the ER.

Luckily, yesterday his knee was better, but he's still wondering what to do. Should he get a surgery to prevent any further injuries? The thing is, after the surgery, he can't work for at least 2 months. And in May we are going to Europe to see his family and to attend his friend's wedding. Vacations in crutches... not the best! Money is not a worry here. We sorted things out, and we can make it.

Anyway, I feel a little overwhelmed by all this, because I have never seen my boyfriend in such a state of mind. He is scared (even though he doesn't want to say it), and it pisses him off. I don't know what to do, except comfort him, I guess.


But let's end this post on a good note. Kerrera is knitting up quickly! I'm almost halfway done with the 2nd sleeve. And it looks gorgeous! I can't wait to finish it. And I hope, really really hope to get it done soon: school is starting Wednesday. Hopefully I'll have some spare time to knit!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's knee problems! That really sucks. I would suggest he goes to a doctor and ask for their opinion on whether the surgery is needed now or if he could forego it for a couple of months for your vacation. Perhaps this will get a little better with rehab? Has he tried that?

My husband just recently had to undergo wrist surgery for a completely tore up wrist ligament but first they tried to get it better through rehab just to see if it would heal on its own (they didn't know just how damaged it was because of the placement on his wrist preventing the MRI from seeing it properly - he has a lot of muscle mass from when he used to weight lift). In either case, doing the rehab really showed him that the surgery was necessary and it made him feel better for at least having tried a non-invasive way of recuperating. Perhaps something like that would help your boyfriend out with his fear of this injury?

I hope he feels better soon and can figure out what the best course of action is for him!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, {hugs} to you both!! I tore my ACL when I was 19 and had to wait about 6 months for the surgery (I was in college in a rural area). During that time I survived, but any accidental later motion caused me to collapse in a heap and in a TON of pain. As far as I know, although I was told rehab could be a substitute, I think the surgery is the only real solution. But I did sever my ACL, not just tear it.

HTH!!!

Heidi said...

Sorry for his injury. I severed my ACL in 2000. It took 5 years and another doctor to finally diagnose the ACL. In that time I destroyed my meniscus. He can wait a little until it is more convenient as fiberfrontlines mentioned. My advice would be to find an orthopedic surgeon who can do a double bundle ACL repair with a cadaver ACL. I had this surgery and my knee is so strong now it is better than my "good" knee. I am 52, as of tomorrow, and bike about 120-150 miles a week and completed 3 centuries this summer. Biking is the best thing for his knee. I also spin all winter when I can't be out on the road. He will come back from this but it sounds like he would be happier with the surgery. All the falling from the ACL going out is torture and does more damage to the cartilage in his knee, which will lead to arthritis later on. Good luck and let us know how it goes. It is an awful injury, painful and frustrating. Your support and compassion will do wonders for him.

Unknown said...

Oh this sounds like such a nasty injury and very tricky decisions to be made, I guess it would be helpful if he could get several different medical opinions to compare.

Unknown said...

I must tell you, the catchpa was unstash! Spooky...Perhaps I had better go and take an honest look at the yarn cupboard.

eriven said...

Please tell your BF that I sympathise greatly. While I haven't injured my ACL I did rupture a tendon 6 months ago and spent 2 months on crutches and still can't walk quite right and have weekly physiotherapy in an attempt to qvoid surgery. I still owe my mum for all the TLC while I was immobile. Definitely get a surgeon's opinion if you do think surgery is necessary and a non-surgeon for a second opinion - if anything like it is here then just getting an appointment will take a while (how much do i love the perks of working in a hospital?!). Plus, travel insurance just in case. Hope BF gets on the road to recovery soon :)

LOL at Poshyarn's captcha - what are the odds?

Unknown said...

Hey there. I just discovered your blog today and really enjoy it! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...